Lynchburg District Theme

Lynchburg District Theme
92 Churches Strong

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Leadership Training: How Big Is Your Dream? How Good Is Your Team?

How Big Is Your Dream?

·         What do you feel God is calling you to do or be this year?
·         What do you feel God is calling your church to do or be this year?

Diane Sawyer, co-anchor for the television program, “Good Morning America” gave an interview for the 60th anniversary Guidepost issue and talked about a Junior Miss Competition and meeting Catherine Marshall, the famous author.

Expecting just a last minute pep talk, Diane was not prepared for what Catherine had to say: “You have set goals for yourselves but I don’t think you have set them high enough. I think you should take those goals and expand them. Think of the most you could do with your lives. Make what you do matter. Above all, dream big.” (Mar 2005)

Diane took her message to heart and has learned to dream big but what about the rest of us? Will God help us set higher goals and learn to dream big? Has your church learned to dream big?

“Larry, I have a stressful schedule and work too hard already? What more can God expect?”

Dreaming big has nothing to do with stress or work habits. Here is the question: “Do you believe God can do big things through you and your church? Are you seeking to fulfill God’s purpose?”

How Good Is Your Team?

·         Who is on your team offering encouragement and help?
·         Who is on your church team helping to move the church forward?

Nicholas, approximately 30, grew up in the church but walked away. Recently he wanted to deepen his faith with God but wasn’t happy at the churches he was attending. So, taking matters into his own hands he started a group on Facebook. He signed me up first and then asked a few friends. Next thing I knew, there were over 80 young adults sharing their hopes and dreams and their struggles with faith. They were recommending Bible Verses and praying for each other.

Nicholas later wrote me: “I just got this feeling the other day about starting a new group on FB. I believe God wanted me to do something for Him, so I pondered on it throughout the day and prayed about it the other night. God gave me the OK, so I got up the next day, started the group, and have enjoyed and been blessed by how everyone has responded. I need a group of believers to hang around since I'm currently not attending church regularly. I want to keep up with this and hope that we can all use this powerful piece of technology to God's advantage!”

Nicholas was inspired to do something significant and found a unique way to not only pursue his big dream but formed a great team in the process.

So…

How big is your dream? How good is your team?

Matthew 28: 16-20 -- The Great Commission - Then the eleven disciples left for Galilee, going to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him—but some of them doubted! Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Dream: Go and make disciples of all nations.
Team: Teach these new disciples.

That will be the theme of our Leadership Training this Saturday. It will be stimulating and exciting. I believe you will all come away with something useful that will you and your church.

So come and join us. Whether you’ve registered or not, come anyway.

Just come expecting to find big dreams and good teams.

See you there.

Larry

1 comment:

  1. I trust the training went well on Saturday. Can't wait to hear how God continues to use you to do big things in Lynchburg and beyond!

    ReplyDelete