Lynchburg District Theme

Lynchburg District Theme
92 Churches Strong

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Prayers in the Midst of Cancelled Services

Well the snow came after all: Just enough to either cancel services or enough to keep all but the hardiest of souls from attending. We began this year with record snow storms, often cancelling services so it seems fitting that we end 2010 the same way.

This is a classic bad news/good news situation.

The bad – it makes it tough for churches financially.

The good – it gives us the opportunity to slow down and think about the real source of our financial base.

Snow always reminds me that God is ultimately in control of everything, even our finances. At the beginning of this year, I thought the snow storms would put all of us in horrible shape from which we would never recover. Yet for most churches, not only did we recover, we did pretty well and managed to make a huge difference in our community.

Nearly every single church in our area made a difference somewhere. In fact in many of the churches I visited, you made a difference far beyond what would have been reasonable.

So, today, I’m going to give more of the worries to God and spend my worrying time in prayer for you and for our churches.

Here is what I came across in my Bible reading today from Zephaniah, Chapter 3. It’s been awhile since I’ve read from this book. I’m always amazed at what I missed. After a lot of painful predictions, the book ends with the following promise.

------------------

Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout aloud, O Israel! Be glad and rejoice with all your heart, O daughter of Jerusalem! For the LORD will remove his hand of judgment and will disperse the armies of your enemy. And the LORD himself, the King of Israel, will live among you! At last your troubles will be over, and you will never again fear disaster.

On that day the announcement to Jerusalem will be, “Cheer up, Zion! Don’t be afraid! For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”

I will gather you who mourn for the appointed festivals; you will be disgraced no more. And I will deal severely with all who have oppressed you. I will save the weak and helpless ones; I will bring together those who were chased away. I will give glory and fame to my former exiles, wherever they have been mocked and shamed.

On that day I will gather you together and bring you home again. I will give you a good name, a name of distinction, among all the nations of the earth, as I restore your fortunes before their very eyes. I, the LORD, have spoken!

---------------------

Shout aloud… be glad.
The Lord will remove his hand of judgment.
The Lord himself will live among you.
Your troubles will be over and you will never again fear disaster.

Those are words of comfort and promise we all need to hear from time to time… especially these times.

Cheer up! Don’t be afraid.
For the Lord your God is living among you.
He will take delight in you with gladness. He will calm all your fears.
He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Don’t we need to know that?

I will gather you who mourn. You will be disgraced no more.
I will deal severely with all who have oppressed you. I will save the weak and helpless ones;
I will bring together those who were chased away.

More promises we need to hear.

I will gather you together and bring you home again.
I will give you a good name.

Here is the best part… remember the source.

I, the LORD, have spoken!

Enough said. I hope you spend the day doing more praying and less worrying.

May God bless you with a special day and prepare you for a special year.

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and your family Larry!
    Fear not; more promises from our heavenly father.
    1 Thessalonians 5:18
    in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
    and Philippians 4:13 & Philippians 4:19

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete