Lynchburg District Theme

Lynchburg District Theme
92 Churches Strong

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"Giving God Our Prayers" by Ree Cathy

Ree Cathy has been writing a devotional column in Keysville, Virginia for years. I've always enjoyed her insight. This week, she wrote about the age-old Christmas dilemma -- "What do you give to someone who already has everything they need?"

Every December, we’re faced with the same dilemma: What do you give someone who already has everything he needs?  Most men don’t need another tie; most women don’t need another knick-knack or more clothes; and most children have more toys than they’ll ever play with.  So what do you give them for Christmas?

With all the commotion and hullabaloo of the holidays, it’s easy to forget what Christmas is all about:  God sent His Son into our world as one of us, to show us what He’s like and to give us the only way to be like Him.  What would you give God for Christmas, to show Him how much He means to you?  He definitely has everything already; He made everything there is!  He doesn’t really need anything…or does He? 

Every morning before I get out of bed, I take about 45 minutes to read a devotion, read the Bible, and tackle my long list of prayers for friends and family and people I don’t even know.  I confess there are some mornings that my prayer list seems more like a duty or a chore, and less like what it really is – a privilege to bring these people before God’s throne. 

What if I thought of my prayers as a gift to God each morning?  They’re a gift to the people I’m praying for; but could they also be a gift to God?  Each time I pray for someone, I’m taking the time to acknowledge Him as the One with all the power to meet that need and the answers to each problem. 

When I trust Him with the outcome, I’m telling God He knows best - and not me.  I’m sure that’s music to His ears, after all the times I’ve tried to tell Him what to do.

What God wants for Christmas (and every day) is the same as what everyone on our lists wants too: our love, our time, our loyalty, our devotion.  Our prayers are a connection with the One who made us, and who carries us through our days.  Each prayer we make can be a thank-you gift to God, and a love-note straight to heaven. 

I’m sure there’s nothing He wants more than that.

Take care, Ree

No comments:

Post a Comment