Lynchburg District Theme

Lynchburg District Theme
92 Churches Strong

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Prayer before Worship

Prayers

Bob Auxier – his daughter Erin came home this week. She is in a body cast but continuing to improve.
Mary Jones
Joyce Austin
John Snyder
Joe Shoop
Lane Spigener
Les Trail
Anthony Busic
Jerry Viemeister
Jo Anne Burnette

I hope you had a pleasant and relaxing Thanksgiving. Sandwiched between the commercial frenzy of Halloween and Christmas, Thanksgiving almost passes unnoticed by the commercial world. Yet for me there is something significant about Thanksgiving in addition to the opportunity to gorge yourself on food.

Thanksgiving gives us an opportunity to stop our hectic schedule for a moment and look at our relationship with God from a different perspective. It’s a simple time to sit back and say, “Thank you.”

Life has not been perfect. In fact for most of us its been difficult but I would be willing to bet that for all of us, God has been in the midst of our struggles providing just enough comfort and encouragement to get us through.

As I was preparing my column this week I spent some time in Matthew chapter 6

“So I tell you, don't worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food, drink, and clothes. Doesn't life consist of more than food and clothing? Look at the birds. They don't need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your heavenly father feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than they are.

Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not. You have so little faith. Why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things? Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.

So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” Parts of Matthew 6:25-34

This is more than a simplistic “do not worry” speech. Instead we are reminded:

 Replace worry with faith. Go back to the basics of working on your relationship with God.

Faith will eventually lead to trust in a God who will lovingly guide you during difficult times.

Be content with looking for God’s help today. Tomorrow will bring its own worries.

Maybe this is the way God gets us through.

Thanksgiving reminds us in the midst of our struggles that we are not alone. God is there guiding you along.

Why am I saying this now?

As we plunge into Advent I pray that Thanksgiving has given you just enough fortitude to be prepared for what is to come. Advent brings a whole new set of opportunities and yes, worries.

But God is here to not only calm you and me down but also to enable us to calm our church and community down.

Yes, we are still in the midst of a financial crisis but God is there and we will not only survive but we will be a witness for God in the midst of the crisis.

Yes, there have been disappointments personally, professionally and even spiritually but God is in the midst of it all providing comfort and strength to see you through.

Maybe that is what it means to replace worry with faith.

I will be praying for you today that God gives you faith in the midst of worries.

In other words, God’s message is: You are not alone. Replace your worries with faith in the God who called you and prepared you and will continually see you through.

I feel calmer already.

I pray you feel God’s calming and peaceful presence this morning as you worship.

2 comments:

  1. My church connection refocuses me every time I walk in the building: I am instantly reminded what Thanksgiving or Christmas or any other Christian observance means. It's like Martha takes off her apron and becomes Mary. In the hustle of preparations I almost hear Jesus admonish me every day, whispering "Martha, Martha!" and I put on my spiritual brakes and check my list of blessings. But quickly the world seeps right back into my consciousness and the same battle plays out again. Wow, what a wonderful oasis of God connectedness awaits us at His house. And double wow, you don't have to leave home to get it, just open the Word and He shows up there too. We serve an awesome God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this Word of faith during Thanksgiving and all that is yet to come during Advent and Christmas. Even though I'm disabled now and don't serve a congregation, I can readily appreciate and that pastors and congregations go though and that in the midst of it all GOD is there. I know many who read this will be encouraged and their spirits calmed as they look Upward for the strength needed.
    Rev. Dr. Frankie Lee Perdue, D.Min. Disabled

    ReplyDelete