Lynchburg District Theme

Lynchburg District Theme
92 Churches Strong

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Are People Listening?

“What are people hearing when they listen to you? What do they expect? How are you relating? Here is a conglomerate of people’s opinions from the book, “Killing Cockroaches” by Tony Morgan. I don’t completely agree and I would add more emphasis on relating to Scripture and the overall Spirituality of the message but from a communications point of view I do find several of the statements challenging. What do you think?”

• I want to hear your heart and not your brain.

• If you listen to me, I may listen to you.

• At best, I’ll remember one thing you say.

• Your message is only one of thousands I’ve already heard today.

• When you admit you messed up, it reminds me that you are real.

• I’m not convinced it’s truth.

• I’m moved by stories.

• When you make me laugh, I engage.

• I hear it but sometimes I need to see it or feel it or experience it.

• I’m watching to see if you keep your promise.

• I think it’s funny that you think you control your message.

• Polished scares me.

• In order to speak to me, you can’t speak to everyone.

• I’m not impressed by big words.

• If it’s not about me, then I’m not listening.

• Your message has more impact when you shorten it.

• It’s OK if you don’t have an answer to everything.

• What are your questions?

• Your message has impact if someone disagrees.

• You’d be wise to participate in our online conversation.

• I know it seems awkward but it helps me when you repeat the important stuff.

• Your message is not for you.

• I don’t have to listen to you.


-- From “Killing Cockroaches” by Tony Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment